August in January – a birth story

It has been 9 days now since our baby was born… August has brought us so much joy and love already, and I can’t imagine what life with just 4 of us any more.  The jump to 5 in our family makes our “little” family suddenly seem large, and I am enjoying every moment right now just soaking up this newborn faze that is so fleeting.  I planned on writing this blog post from the hospital…. and then I started counting tiny toes over and over and kissing his tiny nose and lips and decided it could wait until I got home, and well now here I am!  I have been home a week… recovering from surgery and adjusting to life with August, Pierson and Charlotte.  Bryson has been home and done a lot to make life easier by taking on the older two more, and my sister Dayna has been staying as well to help out where ever she can.  She is an RN and can tell by my face if I need some pain medication.  I wish she could just stay here for another month or two, but I am actually doing great now and I know God hasn’t given me more then I can handle.  We have been blessed with multiple meals from people in our church, and the grandma’s and grandpa’s have helped out a lot as well.

So how about a little birth story?  I know I love hearing them…:)

August was a planned c-section.  Surgery isn’t my first choice for a baby delivery, but it is the safest option for me and my babies.  Pierson was a very large baby (9.4 and 22 inches) and I am not a very large person.  He wasn’t going to come the “natural” way no matter what, so I had to have a c-section.  That left me with one option for Augusts birth… another c-section.  I admit I was dreading it… who really wants their abs and uterus cut open??  The date for his planned delivery was January 27th, and it came so quickly!  We got up that morning at 4:30.  I showered, blow-dried my hair, put on make up (if you have to have a c-section, you might as well wear some lip-gloss!) and we left for Holton Hospital, which is about a 4 minute drive from our home.

When we arrived I was prepped for surgery that was to start around 8:00 am… and I was so nervous!  I had done this before, I knew what to expect but a million thoughts were running through my head.  I was really anxious to see my baby and know that he was healthy and that everything would be okay.  Dr. Malia Warner did a great job making me feel comfortable and the nurses and staff was so attentive during the whole process.  As surgery started the anesthesiologist, Mike gave me lots of detail about what was going on.  Finally they got to the part where they were going to get my baby out… I felt like it took forever as they pulled and tugged. (at least I think that is what they were doing!)  It was probably more like 30 seconds and then…  I heard his cry!  That is the BEST noise in the world at that moment… I knew he was breathing, and as I looked over at the warmer where the nurses were rubbing him down I knew he was beautiful and perfect, and I felt such relief knowing he was out and okay.   Nothing else matters at that moment and emotion over took me as I watched my husband take photos of that little pink crying baby.  The nurses asked me what his name was… I said “August Reid” through my tears.  Finally they brought him to me to kiss for a few minutes before they took him to the nursery to weigh and check him out.  Bryson got to hold him and that was such a beautiful moment too.  Nothing is quite as attractive as a man in full scrubs holding his newborn baby with such pride on his face.  I remember the Dr’s asking me if I was doing okay as they were finishing up surgery, and I remember saying I just wanted it to be over… I had to get my hands on my baby boy!

In recovery they brought August to me.  He was ready to eat (it is AMAZING how quickly newborns want to eat!) and holding him and nursing him was the best feeling in the world.  He knew I was his momma and I knew I was in love again with my baby boy.  The nurses got me settled in my room and Bryson brought our kids in to meet their little brother.  Charlotte loved holding him and touching his “soft head” very gently.  Her maternal instincts to nurture and love are already obvious.  Pierson was a little more apprehensive but proud as well.  He held him with Bryson for about 30 seconds before asking to be done so he could get an “It’s a boy” sucker.

Our stay at the hospital was really nice, and the nurses I had were all amazing.  The best part about delivering locally is the care I received from my Doctor and the nurses.  I didn’t deliver on an OB wing with lots of other moms and babies… we were the only OB patients that week, and it was awesome.  August let it be known to all of us that he would rather be held and snuggled then in a bassinet and I was totally okay with this discovery. (I think the nurses liked it too.)  We left for home with our new baby that Sunday and tomorrow marks the first week we have been together as a family of 5.

I have been emotional at times, but it has mostly been a feeling of joy that has left me feeling very satisfied even with the minimal sleep I have beet getting lately. We feel so blessed right now and August really is a good baby.  I can’t wait to watch him grow, and I want to freeze time as well… he will be this tiny for just a little while and I am loving every minute of it right now.

Thanks to our friends and family for all your help, prayers, meals, support and love.  It is an awesome feeling to belong to such a supportive family, community, and church.  My mom and sister have also made this transition from two kids to three much easier.

Charlotte was the artist that drew the baby on the wipe board.  I loved it!   

We took lots of photos in the hospital, and a little bit in the studio a few days ago.  It was interesting being in front of the camera some in my own studio.  Mom and Dayna were my photographers and did a great job.  Maybe they could take over some photo shoots for me. 😉  Today I got together with a photographer friend, Terra Herring, and we photographed him some more in her studio.  She was so nice to offer to do this, knowing what a c-sections feels like, and I had a great time watching someone else work with my baby as well.   I will post some of those soon!  I think we got some really awesome ones, and some fun pull back “Terra in action” shots as well.  That may be a whole new blog post. :)

Facebook Share|Tweet Post|Email Post|Contact Me
February 6, 2011 - 7:48 AM

Tammy Elliott - Beautiful pictures, and a wonderful story! Thanks for sharing it with everyone!

February 6, 2011 - 8:44 AM

Carol Braum - What a wonderful blog, and I love the photos! Thank for sharing!!

February 6, 2011 - 11:26 AM

Katie Morris - Yeah! I’ve been waiting on this post!

February 6, 2011 - 12:14 PM

Gary & Courtney - CONGRATS!!!

February 6, 2011 - 2:07 PM

Kristi Ditmer - beautiful pictures Amy! You are blessed!

February 6, 2011 - 3:46 PM

Joni White - Amy, thank you for sharing your story. I enjoyed reading it. The pictures, as always, are awesome. Bryson looks like a doctor, and you look amazing. Congratulations on your wonderful family!

February 7, 2011 - 8:43 AM

Valerie - Beautiful!!!! :) So very happy for you all!!!

February 9, 2011 - 8:48 AM

Debbie Moran - Amy, loved your story, I can relate totally. You are a very talented photographer. I hope your recovery is going well.

February 9, 2011 - 10:53 PM

Kristy Nevinski - I love all the photos Amy! August is beautiful!!! (In a very boy way:)
Amazing post!!

Your email is never published or shared. Required fields are marked *




" target="_blank">

F a c e b o o k
m y   c a m e r a   b a g